The Summer Reading List is Here!
Where does the time fly? I can’t believe it’s that time of year again! Time to share our Summer Reading List with you! It’s my 27th year in HCPSS and 22nd year here at Murray Hill Middle School! W00t! A lot of things have changed but some thing stay the same. Like still LOVING to read. Every day. Especially, in the Summer time! There’s nothing better to sit outside, on the beach, under an umbrella, or in a screened in porch and just read. For hours and hours! Where do you like to read? Any verified official Murray Hill kid who answers that in the comments will get a surprise next year! Sorry, Svetlana in Vladivostok, you are not eligible to win, but I still appreciate you reading this blog!
…..also, Pssst! Grownups! The ADULT Summer Reading List is linked at the bottom.
Thanks to our our A+ partner Librarians at the Howard County Library and two of our local HCPSS Middle School Teacher-Librarians we have created this Super Fun Reading List for all the kiddos in our district! (or the world!)
Murray Hill kids – If you read any of these books this summer, we would LOVE to hear what you thought in the comments! Follow us on Instagram to see pics of kids being AWESOME every day in our library and throughout the school!
Also, if you take a picture of yourself reading this summer or visiting a Library & tag me at @TheDaringLibrarian you’ll get a prize! Also, please tag @HoCoLibrary to maybe get some extra SWAG! 😉 But you have to find me in September and remind me, by saying like “Swag Me” because I’m getting old! LOL
From the Howard County Public Library, Our A+ Partners
Join us for Summer Reading KICKOFF on Saturday, June 1 from 10 am to 2 pm at HCLS Miller Branch!
- Activities in the Enchanted Garden include planting a sunflower and being a human sundial (weather permitting)
- Indoor activities include crafts for children, and encounters with moon rocks and other rocks from space borrowed from NASA
- Food trucks: Kona Ice and Say Cheese!
- 11 – 11:45 pm performance by The Milkshake Duo
- 12:30 – 1:30 pm fun with Eric Energy
Children, teens, and adults can participate! Enroll online from home or at any HCLS branch OR pick up a paper booklet at any branch.
- After you’ve enrolled online or picked up your Summer Reading booklet, log the books you read and mark off activities as you complete them.
- Mix and match any combination of 20 books read and/or activities completed
- For every book/activity you complete, you receive an entry into a branch and systemwide prize drawing for your age group.
FOR ONLINE PARTICIPANTS: HCLS has a new online summer reading portal called BookPoints! Beginning June 1, 2019 you can register for a free summer reading account and create your BookPoints Username and password. Earn up to 41 entries into end-of-summer prize drawings by participating online!
FOR PAPER ONLY PARTICIPANTS: Between July 1 and August 31, return your completed booklet to any library branch to receive one entry into the end-of-summer prize drawings for each book or activity you complete. Check off a minimum of 20 books and/or activities to officially complete Summer Reading 2019: A Universe of Stories!
Recommended Summer Reading Lists for the Whole Family!
- PreK Book List | printable
- K to Grade 1 Book List | printable
- Grades 2 – 3 Book List | printable
- Grades 4 – 5 Book List | printable
- Middle School Book List | printable
- High School Book List | printable
- Adult |
- Prize drawings will occur in early September, with winners notified by mid-September.
- All prizes and coupons while supplies last. One prize per reader.