With the sad demise of our MHMS Tech Wiki – I’m bringing over the most used & requested tech info!
Workday – Manage Pay stubs & Leave Requests
Computer Reservations GSuite Calendar: Make sure you’re logged into your HCPSS Account. If it denies you access, you’re not.
To set up your printer -on a MacBook Air, Go to your dock and look for the Self Service icon
Open that up and login with your AD credentials (AD = active directory) and look on left to set up for MHM Printers. Choose your TEAM printer and follow the prompts.
Also please, set up your KONICA MFD printing for the main office. You can send print jobs to that machine, they will wait in a que for you then print it all out at your leisure – our fabulous secretaries can show you how to do this.
How to Reset a Student Password
-OR get one for a New Student! Login the link below with your Active Directory network login & Pssw. This will only work on the HCPSS network NEVER Change your password at home!
Login with your teacher Active Directory name & password (same as your email) and search for the student name, choose Murray Hill Middle School to refine (do it once, then you can always click it on the LEFT) Click on student name, write down login, choose to RESET then generate a one time only reset password, write this down. Using another computer, go to HCPSS.me and login with the student login & the one time only reset password – this will create a dialog box where you put in the one time only reset password again and then NEW Password TWICE. Use the
or random adverb & noun generator below.
ALL Passwords must follow this rule:
MUST be at least 8 alphabetic letters
include at least 1 Capitol letter
include at least 1 number
cannot repeat the same used password over again, it will be rejected
Too short or not including these things will lead it to being, rejected.
No one likes rejection! LOL
School Year: 2018-19: It’s all about the PassPhrase!
So, for years we had a student Matrix combination to help kids choose a password. This helped the teachers so that they could easily prompt a kid when they invariably forgot their passwords, and it worked pretty well. But now is the time when we step up our game and we’re going to let our kids choose their own passwords. (Hopefully they don’t choose: knockoutboobiefartheadbuttnose44!) Cause that’s already taken! But, you get my drift.
5 Steps for a More Secure Student Password
Suggested by our HCPSS Data Architect & Security Manager
To create a new password, you’re going to choose a random 2 word combination with at least one word capitalized, and adding a number or a special character – for example: sillyDoor5, TragicUnicorn77, or Fancy4Foot!
(But don’t use these! LOL)
1. Go to Random Adjective List Generator
Click on the Blue RERUN button to get more choices
2. Go to Random Noun List Generator
Click on the Blue RERUN button to get more choices
3. Combine the 2 words -BONUS: if they make you laugh, it’s even better to remember!
EX: fancypenguin (don’t use that one!)
4. Capatalize a letter (or two!) in the combo: EX: FancyPenguin
5. Add a number and or a special character at the end, beginning, or in the middle EX: fancyPenguin5 or EX: Fancy$Penguin5!
Now, you can
Go to the website How Secure is my Password
and test to see how secure it is!
Fancy$Penguin5! grade is:
It would take a computer about
16 Billion years
to crack your password
COOL FACT: At any time, you or a student can change their password:
(as long as they remember their old one!)
Go to hcpss.me and select Change Password at the bottom
Students will need to add: @inst.hcpss.org after their username
CANVAS Quiz Printing Conundrum:
From Mr. C: Does anyone know if there is a way to print a Canvas quiz? Or do I have to copy and paste every thing into a document if I want to print it to give a student a paper copy?
This are our crowdsourced solutions:
|Category:||Technology and Telecommunications
|Name:||Apple Inc. (Website)|
|Discount Details:||Go to Apple.com and at the very bottom of the screen, look at the “Education” section – then click. Then go to the top where it says, “how to buy”. About 1/3 of the way down, I found the link for Education Pricing for Individuals”
1. Select the radial button labeled “K-12”
2. In the search field enter “Howard County Public Schools” and click “Search”
3. Select “Howard County Public Schools” and click “Shop for Yourself”
|Description:||Apple Inc. designs, develops, and sells consumer electronics, computer software and personal computers.
Check out the new Apple professional development for your teachers, and it’s FREE!
Microsoft Personal Purchasing
Technology and Telecommunications
|Name:||Kivuto OnTheHub – Microsoft via Bell Techlogix (Website)|
|Discount Details:||Personal Software – use personal credit card to make purchase at hcpss.e-academy.com|
|Description:||A software discount webstore supporting Microsoft Technologies has been established via your agreement with Microsoft and Bell Techlogix as the Microsoft Large Account Reseller. If you need assistance with installation you may call the support center 1-888-396-1447 or email email@example.com|
|Contact:||Ms. Lisa Goolsby
2812 Emerywood Parkway, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23294
Order directly from the link below:
Added: Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:26 AM
ON A MAC & See this?
Computer Lab Orientation
Or what we teach the kids & how you can be tech savvy, too!
NEW Cow Cart Charging Suggestion from a Special Guest …
Hi, all. When you use the new COW carts (which, compared to their contents, are shiny and new), here’s an operational suggestion for putting the computers back:
The charging cords now all hang from the top of the cart together, so it’s easy to get “one off” when plugging them into the computers. Then, when you reach the end of the row, you may have one extra cord or one extra computer and have to redo them all. To prevent this, first, slide all of the computers into the cart WITHOUT plugging them in. Then, start at one end and plug them in in sequence. That way, you’ll be using the “right” cord for each computer.
Be safe out there!
Gifted and Talented Resource Teacher
Murray Hill Middle School
Technology Help Desk
410-313-7004 –– with NEW Menu Options! Plus, NEVER – EVER Reset your password at home. We have an Ethernet adapter set up in the Tech Repair study carrel in the Media Center. Come on up & help yourself – bring your cell phone.
- #1 Login/Password Help
- #2 Synergy
- #3 Canvas
- #4 Computer Repair
- #5 Telecenter Admin
- #6 Audio/Visual
- #7 Employee Online Support
- #8 Smartfind
- #9 Teachscape ?
- #0 All Other Calls
Do you have a new device? Cool! You are required to registerit online at the HCPSS Assigned Technology Device Agreement page. Thank you!
DVD Player there’s a fix to make it work in iTunes!
NEW EXCITING TIMES! When you have a question & if I’m not available, Google “Macbook Air _” somebody has surely asked it before and can be found, usually with pictures, on the aethernets! Remember, I’m learning along with you! I DID find out how to add my beloved STICKIES to the dock.
How to take a screenshot of any MAC 2 easy ways!
Take the whole screen – everything by pressing keys in order Command > Shift + 3
Take a selected part of the screen by pressing keys in order Command > Shift + 4 — then use the mouse or trackpad to draw a square around what you want captured.
Image will end up on your desktop & you can drag it into iPhoto to crop & manipulate
OR… Go to PicMonkey.com and drag it into Edit a Photo to crop, resize, enhance, & write text over it! PicMonky is made of Win!
Symptom: Slow Computer & Spinning Beach Ball of Doom
Another issue: having too much work or folders on your desktop. If your desktop has more than 500mgs of folders, docs, ppt’s
it will have major operating issues. Slow to load webpages, slow start applications, the spinning beach ball frozens screen issue.
Best to only keep a few current folders / docs on the desktop & place all others into your DOCUMENTS folder.
That will make your laptop happy & run more consistently for ya!
Document Camera Magic!
Here’s how to hook up your LCD Projector to your Document Camera and to your computer.
I need these graphics because I always forget how to hook up the things & I like having the pictures to show me how to do it! ~GJ
Download THIS! Document Camera Magic-1g66dey
(Same thing works for Avervision)
(Graphic by Michael Ahr – River Hill High School Media)
How to hook it up to your LCD and your Laptop or Computer!
Hooked up but only seeing the screensaver and NOT what you want on the screen?
Make sure you’ve got mirroring checked in Displays. Go to System Preferences, look for displays, and you’re hooked into the LCD the tab arrangement will show up. Follow the directions below and check off mirroring.
If you have an AVERVISION and it’s acting up 2 indications there’s something wrong
1. If connected directly to the LCD but all you get is a blue screen
2. If connected with a laptop and an LCD – will show laptop but NOT the Document Camera
Solution: Check to make sure that the RGB button on the side is set to RGB and NOT TV.
STAGING & Long Term Sub FAQ from Technology Logistic Center
What does Technology Logistics Center provide?
- Processing new technology Purchase Orders below the count of 10 units. Large orders go to our subcontractor, DNI.
- Asset tracking in CID
- Long Term Sub laptop kit distribution
- Paraeducator iPad Minis deployment
- Refurbishing returning laptops for redeployment
Who is the Logistics Center?
- Logistics Center is the Warehouse. Logistics Center was a new name instituted in 2015.
- Logistics Center is now located in Elkridge, MD.
Can I use sharpies and/or stickers on new equipment?
- No. Do not mark laptops, tablets, and power cables with permanent markers or stickers.
Can a teacher take the assigned laptop from one school to another when transferring?
- Yes, if the same teacher will be using the laptop.
Can a long-term sub take the assigned laptop to another sub assignment or school?
- Yes, if the same sub will be using the laptop.
Can I save a long-term sub laptop for another sub?
- No, laptops should be returned after the sub assignment is finished.
When does the LTSub turn in their laptop kit?
- At the end of the current SmartFind assignment.
- If the sub is starting another assignment fairly quickly, information should be given to Clara Casey.
Do I need to notify anyone of the laptop transfer?
- Transfers can be done in CID by the Media Specialist, or
- Emailing Jim Bageant or Clara Casey about the transfer request.
- Once a device is returned to the Logistics Center, it is verified in CID as being received at the Warehouse (WHSE).
Can I give a laptop or tablet from an outgoing teacher to an incoming teacher?
- No, laptops and Paraeducator iPad Minis cannot be shared between users. This is for data confidentiality and security purposes.
- Laptops and Paraeducator iPad Minis should be returned to Clara Casey @ Logistics Center by submitting a Staging>Return ticket. Once returned, the equipment is then cleaned, reimaged, and given out to another user.
What do I do when a teacher retires or leaves HCPSS with their technology Equipment?
- Laptops and Paraeducator iPad Minis need to be returned to the Logistics Center by submitting a Staging>Return ticket.
- iPhones should be returned to the Telecommunications Dept.
What do I do with a regular size iPad when turned in?
- Regular size iPads have been distributed by the different departments, i.e., special education, kindergarten, business department, etc. They should be returned to the department they were issued from.
- Regular sized iPads do not come back to the Logistics Center.
Submitting Help Desk tickets
- Returning Equipment: Staging > Return
- For laptops, desktops, and Paraeducator iPad Minis.
- Requesting a new employee laptop or Paraeducator iPad Minis: Staging > New > Technology Purchase
- During the school year, the school has to request for a new employee.
- Only during August is technology given a list of new employees.
- Requesting a long term sub laptop (more than 2 weeks): Staging > Loaner > Long Term Sub
- Data needed for all long-term subs: Start date, End date, SmartFind number, Name of sub, Name of teacher subbing for, and School.
- Short-term subs do not get issued a laptop.
- At this time, Technology is not providing loaner laptops for when computers are being repaired.