Banned Book Week 2015

Celebrating the Freedom to Read!

MHMS Celebrates National Banned Book Week with a display highlighting some of the books that have been banned throughout the years in American school and public libraries.

From the American Library Association:

Banned Books Week is the national book community’s annual celebration of the freedom to read. Hundreds of libraries and bookstores around the country draw attention to the problem of censorship by mounting displays of challenged books and hosting a variety of events. The 2015 celebration will be held September 27-October 3.

Banned Books Week was launched in 1982 in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in schools, bookstores and libraries. More than 11,300 books have been challenged since 1982 according to the American Library Association.”

To celebrate banned book week here at MHMS we created a book display covering up some of the most banned books with strategic tear outs. We also created a couple QR Code resources for kiddos to learn more about Banned Books!

We here at the MHMS Daring School Library believe in the freedom to read without censorship!

Middle school is a WONDERFUL but quirky time for kids with wide ranges of maturity and reading levels. (and that’s why I teach middle school – because, LOVE IT!) But, I must admit, there are a few books that we have that I consider maybe to be more 7th or 8th grade in subject matter than right 6th graders. That’s when I sometimes exercise my judgement as a certified school librarian to say to a 6th grader – this may be too mature for you, wait till next year. But I wouldn’t EVER want to take that book off the shelf and not let a kid “grow into it” nor do I approve of forcing a kid to read a book. It’s all about the Freedom of Choice! Read more about Banned Book Week!

[she now tries to get the 1980’s Devo song out of her head]

Download the FREE QR Code PDF Signs:

Banned_Books_WARNING PDF

QR Code links to the ALA Top 100 Banned Book from 2000-2009

7_Reasons_Banned_Books PDF

QR Code links to the Huffington Post article 7 Reasons Your Favorite Books Were Banned

How to Make a QR Code in 3 Easy Steps!

MHMS isn’t the only school library to celebrate #BannedBookWeek! Check out these Timehop pics from her friend Ms. Sherry Gick, a Teacher Librarian & Tech Specialist at Rossville Consolidated Schools in Indiana!

Also check out the cool display from Maine! Mr. jonathan r. werner

6 thoughts on “Banned Book Week 2015

• August 23, 2016 at 12:42 pm
    Permalink

I love this idea and I’m thinking about doing something similar! I was wondering: did your QR codes link to existing sites or did you create your own? Would you mind sharing the links to the sites? Thanks!

• August 23, 2016 at 1:04 pm
    Permalink

Hi Thanks for your comment!! Did you try scanning the QR Codes?? [grins] They take you to existing sites! (I’m LAZY and super busy in September! But for you, Maggie, I added the PDF signs to DOWNLOAD for FREE and the coordinating links to the blog post! Cheers dear!

• August 25, 2016 at 2:04 pm
    Permalink

Oh my goodness–clearly I was not at the top of my game on Monday. Thank you so much for sharing! 🙂

• August 25, 2016 at 6:54 pm
    Permalink

No worries! It was a great question! Would love to see your display if you get it together – Tweet me at @GwynethJones
    Have a great school year!
    ~Gwyneth

• September 18, 2017 at 11:21 pm
    Permalink

I’m dying trying to find that bookshelf! I can’t. It’s killing me. I MUST have it 😱 This is an amazing display too, I need a shelf like this for displays and I’m a crazy person!! Do you know?

• October 30, 2017 at 9:58 am
    Permalink

Hi Sara, thanks so much for your kind comment! I emailed, Tweeted, & posted on Flickr the information for you! I hope that shelf is in your future – it’s pretty much made of AWESOME!